The day you go away to college will be both the most exciting and terrifying day of your young life.
The minute you step onto campus, you’ll suddenly feel like the adult-iest adult and the tiniest baby all at the same time.
But with such a weird mix of emotions, it’s hard to tell if you’re really ready for college (hint: you are) or if you’re just an infant imposter masquerading as a college student by wearing a “U of Something” sweatshirt.
So how do you convince yourself you’re ready for this next big phase in your life?
By making a video about it, of course!
OK, so that’s not really the traditional way to shake out the “headed to college” nerves — but you could win a $5,000 scholarship for it, so it’s worth a shot.
AASA, The School Superintendents Association, is hosting the Redefining Ready! National Scholarship contest for graduating high school seniors in an effort to shift the focus of college preparedness away from test scores and onto things like internships, attendance, identifying a career pathway, community service hours and sports or club participation. (Ya know, the things that actually help prepare you for life.)
The Redefining Ready! National Scholarship Contest
Here’s how to enter to win as much as $5,000 in the AASA Redefining Ready! Scholarship contest.
Number of scholarships awarded: 16
- One national first-place winner will receive $5,000.
- One national runner-up will receive $2,500.
- Seven regional (AASA regions) winners will each receive $2,000.
- Seven regional runners-up will each receive $1,000.
To qualify for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a graduating high school senior.
To apply, applicants must:
- Create a 30-second video detailing how they are college-, career- and life-ready beyond a single test score.
- Write a brief essay detailing the same (to be included on the application).
- Upload the video to YouTube (must be publicly viewable).
- Share the video on Twitter.
- Use the hashtag #RedefiningReady and tag @AASAHQ and @Hobsons when sharing on Twitter.
- Fill out and submit the application found on the sidebar here, including your Twitter handle and a link to your video on YouTube.
Scholarship deadline: April 2, 2018
You can read the rest of the official rules and guidelines here. (There’s also an example video you can view.)
And if you’re looking for even more scholarships to apply for, be sure to check out our list of 100 scholarships that will help you pay for college.
Grace Schweizer is a junior writer at The Penny Hoarder.
This was originally published on The Penny Hoarder, which helps millions of readers worldwide earn and save money by sharing unique job opportunities, personal stories, freebies and more. The Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. in 2017.
Powered by WPeMatico